If you are looking for the perfect canapés for the festive period, these are the best cheese scones to treat your guests with at your celebratory parties. Inspired by favourite festive ingredient, sage. They will definitely get you in the festive mood.
Sage and Davidstow 18 Month Extra Mature cheddar scones (serves 10)
230g plain flour
15g baking powder
80g Davidstow® 18 Month Extra Mature cheddar, grated
5g chia seeds
5 leaves sage, chopped
60g thick crème fraiche
50g whole cooked chestnuts, finely chopped
Sprinkle of chia seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat a fan assisted oven to 160°c.
2. Scones: Mix together the flour and baking powder. Now rub in the butter. Mix in the seeds and cheese, then the milk and marmite. Rub all together to form a dough. Wrap the dough and rest for 20 minutes.
3. Roll out on the kitchen surface to around 2cm thick and cut using a ring cutter approx. Scones should be approximately 1-2 inches diameter, depending on which size you’d like to use. Brush milk on the top of each scone and bake for 13 minutes.
4. For the filling: Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl and season to taste.
5. Now cut the scones in half and fill with as much of the filling as you’d like!