In touch with London and it’s artists for over 150 years, Royal Doulton embraces the urban culture and eclectic style of the city. Our products encourage self-expression and are designed to give you everything you need to create a relaxed and sociable home.
The Royal Doulton story began in 1815, the year of the Battle of Waterloo when John Doulton opened up a small pottery in Lambeth, South London. Focused on the mass production of ceramic products for drainage systems the business quickly grew into an industrial empire managed by his son, Henry.
The vast expansion of the brand began in 1877 when Henry acquired a factory in Stoke-On-Trent, already famous as the home of British pottery. Doulton began designing and producing decorative hand-painted ceramics and fulfilling his objective of combining functional purpose with artistic merit.
The Doulton success was built on innovation and anything was possible under the Royal Doulton brand – even a self-pouring teapot! It was this desire to innovate that led to the development of the ‘Lambeth Studio’ in the late 1860s. Homed in the original office buildings in South London, the studio expanded rapidly and by 1871 employed a handful of students from the local school of art. By the end of that decade that number had increased to over a hundred.
The emphasis on innovation has been constant throughout the lifetime of the brand and 200 years on it’s still evident in the products that the design team creates today. In 1901, four years after Henry’s death, Edward VII granted Doulton the right to add the ‘Royal’ to their name. The business adopted a bold new logo and brand name – Royal Doulton.
(Royal Warrants are granted to people or companies who have regularly supplied goods or services for a minimum of five consecutive years to the HRH The Queen, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh or HRH The Prince of Wales.)
The Royal Doulton potteries have made almost everything that can be made from ceramics. And today the range also includes crystal, glass, wood and metals.