Ready to have the best legs of your life this summer? Start now, with the right mix of activity, nutrition and topical applications, and you will have streamlined, toned pins, and enhanced confidence, by the time it’s warm enough to bare flesh again. The tweaks I recommend making to your lifestyle here can also noticeably reduce cellulite. Time to up the ante.
Which exercises work best?
Activity is key to improving leg contours – the more you do to stimulate your circulation, via exercise, the better your legs will be! Some exercises help legs more than others: running, swimming, pilates and yoga are all excellent because they stretch and lengthen muscles, making legs look longer. Do these two core exercises every morning too – they work wonders:
1. Best for hamstrings, quads, glutes & inner things: Second Plié & Lunge
– Standing legs parallel, step left foot out into a wide lunge, raise heels, pressing through your left heel, activating the hamstring and lower glute.
– Return the body facing the front into second position, right heel up.
– Lower right heel into a plié squeezing bottom and inner thighs and raising right heel.
– Rotate back to your lunge, stepping the left foot back to starting position.
2. Best for bottom, inner & outer thighs: Curtsy Battement
– Stand with feet in a ‘V’ (heels glued together, toes apart), step right leg back into a deep curtsy plié behind left leg and reach right arm upwards.
– Bring right leg forward again and extend it upwards, pointing toes.
– Bend leg to touch knee with toes of right foot.
– Return to passé, repeat with left leg.
Which products work best?
Creams, oils and even exfoliators which work to dispel trapped fluid and promote the blood and lymph circulation are the greatest bonus to your legs. It’s all about getting everything flowing – just as with exercise, so nothing stagnates and has a chance to create puff and flab.
Legology Air-Lite Daily Lift For Legs
I developed Legology Air-Lite Daily Lift For Legs, a deep drainage cream, because I know that fluid retention misshapes legs and contributes to cellulite. Freeing legs from trapped fluid streamlines them from ankle to hip. Recent consumer tests we did showed that Air-Lite’s main complex, ProContour, reduced fat cells by 58% in two weeks. Use it daily.
Legology Exfo-Lite Stimulating Salts For Legs
To ramp up the benefits, use Air-Lite after Legology Exfo-Lite Stimulating Salts For Legs, my deep drainage two salt scrub (a mix of Himalayan pink salts and sea salt), and a deep detox oil. I find Decleor Aromessence Slim Effect Draining Contouring Serum (£37.50) – a serum to release water retention – works really well to boost the benefits.
What else helps?
Professional massage is integral to shapely legs – as important as exercise and nutrition. There are lots of choices, but manual massage, tailored to your needs with aromatherapy oils, is unarguably most effective. Deep tissue leg-shaping massage isn’t comfortable, but when it’s done well you can leave a salon with a couple of inches off your buttocks and muffin top.
Two little nutritional miracles to try: Swanson Ultra Probiotic Complex (£16.12/120 tablets) and Mornflake Oatbran (£1.71) which work well together to keep the digestion ticking over, preventing congestion and bloatedness.
Finally, hosiery – a great pair of tights does wonders for your legs, especially if it has supportive qualities. My advice is to invest in the best: try Wolford’s Velvet Deluxe 66 Leg Support Tights (£35, luxury-legs.com), you will never look back.
If you love all things health and beauty, you may enjoy browsing our selection of some of the best beauty products